Saturday, August 26, 2006

Still not good here

We're still struggling with something here. I don't know what it is, but it's making David do things he normally doesn't.

Monday night he went to bed at 6:30 p.m. His dad came and picked him up at 2:00 p.m.; I was hoping he could get David to eat something, no such luck. I tried when he got home, but all he would take was a little water. He fell asleep on his bed trying to read a book. I pulled the covers over him and let him sleep.

I was up at 6:00 a.m. (I went to bed at 10:30 p.m.) Mackenzie at 7:30 a.m. (She went to bed at 9:30 p.m.) David at 9:00 a.m! 14 1/2 hours! In the summer! I know my son isn't feeling well.

Breakfast was a Carnation Instant Breakfast shake. Half of it anyways. He went back upstairs while I ran Mackenzie to preschool. I came back to sit down and do some work and didn't hear him. He said he was OK, but not feeling well. I asked him to come downstairs with his book and relax on the couch so I could keep an eye on him while he read. OK.

He was asleep again by 11:00 a.m. His physical was previously scheduled for Tuesday, the day before school started, and his doctor said the same thing, a virus, can't give him anything. Oh, and certain viruses can push a person into Type I Diabetes, so we better schedule a three hour glucose tolerance test, since it runs in the family. Later that night, I got the phone call from St. Luke's, the two day strep came back positive, we're calling in an antibiotic for him. Got two doses in him, otherwise he wouldn't have been able to go to school on the first day.

David dragged himself to school on the 23rd. I didn't want him to go, but he figured since it was a half day, he'd make it. I talked to his teachers later (it's middle school, he has seven or eight different teachers now), some remarked about his color and his lethargy, like he had 'tuned out'. He was ready to call me at 10:00 a.m. to come get him. He wound up not going the next two days. He was just someone we didn't know. Then he was at his dad's for late Thursday, Friday and Saturday.

He came home tonight looking like David again, still moving slow, appetite coming back slowly, but the color had come back to his face. Something's up here. My research is telling me that he's got a moderate case of West Nile, but the doctors don't seem to think so. I realize my Mother's Medical certificate won't hold up against theirs, but that's the feeling I've got.

No comments: